|Bitter Gourd - Karela Magic Recipe|
Karela is one of the highly beneficial vegetable for the body. It is called a boon in Ayurveda but is one of the most difficult to cook due to its bitterness. As I call it, it is a chef's nightmare and any mothers too !
I wanted to share my mom's recipe with you all so that you can benefit by this gift of mother nature !
2 Karela's / Bitter gourd cut in slices. Ensure that you remove the seeds.
5-6 cloves of garlic.
7-8 dried red chilies.
1 teaspoon of whole black pepper. You can also use the ground powder.
1 1/2 teaspoon of coriander seeds. ( Dhania Seeds in Hindi )
8-10 green chilies. Vary the quantity per the hotness. ( I prefer spicy though )
2 star anise
Half bowl / 1 cup if grated coconut. Use the fresh one if available.
Half cup of soaked yellow peas ( soak for around 30 minutes)
1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida / Hing Powder
1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1. Keep pan on medium heat.
2. Add one teaspoon of vegetable oil.
3. Add 1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida/ hing ( you will get it at any Indian Grocery Store )
4. Add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder and mustard seeds.
5. Add the cut Karela / Bitter Gourd. Mix it well.
6. Add sufficient amount of water. Add till the Karela soaks. Do not cover with lid. Let it cook till water evaporates.
7. Now, we will need make the masala.
8. Begin by dry roasting the spices on medium heat. Do not add the soaked yellow peas yet.
9. Lightly roast the spices. Ensure you stir continuously otherwise there is a possibility that the spices may burn or char.
10. Once the aroma of roasted spices leaves the pan, add 3/4 cup of water and grind this mixture to a fine paste.
11. Now add salt ( as per taste ) to the Karela. Mix it well.
12. Add the soaked Yellow Peas.
13. Add the ground masala.
14. Karela Magic Ready ! Garnish it with Coriander. Serve it hot with Roti or Rice.
1. Extremely healthy due to the Karela / Bitter Gourd.
2. Kids will love it too as all the bitterness is masked by the masala.
You can also reach me at: